Wednesday 10 September 2014

Narrowboat MiFi

After my previous blog where I had a good old moan about mobile broadband I decided to do a little more research and although I still can't find a great solution where I can have unlimited data I have found an improvement on what I have presently. My pay-as-you-go MiFi (basically mobile WiFi) is costing £15 per 3GB which I have to use within a month, which means over the past 5 weeks (4 weeks aboard the boat) I have used nearly 12GB, which in turn means £60!!!!! OK, I have been using it a fair bit because I have been working for my graphic design company and sending files etc to clients. However, it seems you really do get hammered if you go down the pay-as-you-go route on data costs. Many people who use their boats purely for pleasure do not want to tie themselves down with a full on yearly data contract as they may not spend enough time aboard to benefit from it.

Well, maybe this is a good compromise: Three, the same people I use for my PAYG offers a monthly rolling contract for £16.02 (£29.99 up front cost) which includes a new MiFi box as pictured below and I get 10GB a month.

Now then, 10GB would have cost me just over £45 per month on my PAYG so this is a great deal for me, even if I am away from the boat for a month or two here and there as my average over the past couple of years has been around £25 per month. This obviously does not address the speed and connection issues outlined in my previous post but at least I am not paying quite so much and I also get a nice new MiFi box!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment