Sunday 24 July 2011

Making Hannah Our Own - Building & Painting

Boats always need stuff doing to them and Hannah was no exception to the rule. With that in mind we decided to have a real blitz and do some of the stuff that was irritating us such as the awful brown sink! This post is pretty much a 'picture says it all' kind of post.

First up was that sink (there is a shower tray too but we will get around to that another time as it's not so bad!)

Hannah the Narrowboat Refit the sink

I wanted to add some traditionally painted roses to the stern, just above the engine vents. Although I am a graphic designer this was not my usual thing so I brushed up (pun intended) on how it was done in the old days and gave it a shot! I usually paint 'virtually' with a graphics tablet which allows me to simply erase mistakes with no mess - this was different!

Narrowboat roses

While I was busy painting the roses Lee was painting the roof and attaching some lovely new shiny 'mushrooms' which are basically safety air vents.

Lee paints the roof of Hannah the Narrow Boat

We needed more storage so I thought it would be a good idea to make a top box in the style of the boat. As I am writing this retrospectively (although the publish date is when this was actually carried out) I would strongly advise that you do not buy B&Q pretreated timber if you want it to last in the hands of the elements! The top flaps are already warped and the ply separating so we will have to refit new lids soon!

Hannah the Narrowboat Top Box

The bow decoration was looking a bit rusty so that was next on Lee's to do list!

Redecorating the bow decoration of Hannah the Narrowboat

No comments:

Post a Comment